The Magazine For Those Of Us Who Won't Just Lay Down And Die!

With ingenuity, with preparation, with creativity, with determination, with inventiveness, and with faith, we will overcome!

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Biomass Briquette Lever Press - Fuel/feed briquette maker

I've been contemplating my rabbitry, and finding the ROI is wanting.  The cost for rabbit pellets per week is around $22, which buys me a fifty pound bag of rabbit pellets.  I've got something like 12 adult rabbits, and 9 bunnies at present.  I typically give them gleanings from the garden and yard, and was for a time putting them out in a duck tractor-ish contraption daily, which gave them direct access to grazing the yard.  This cut down considerably on pellet consumption, but still, I really want to find a way to NOT spend any money on the little things, and STILL produce at a very good rate.

I thought about the possibility of making my own pellets, using the vegetation that is available here in my own land.  So I started looking for a means of producing pellets, or something of the sort.  This is what I have found so far, a briquette maker, or as I see it, a rabbit food maker, as well as some variations on this theme:




Found at ebookbrowse.com



The mix of plants, and perhaps minerals, will have to be what I can come up with on my own land, or nearby.  I've located a section of field on the grounds of a nearby golf course that has a good mix of some sort of clover or vetch, Queen Anne's Lace, Chicory, and a goodly number of other species.  I will ask permission to come and mow that section, saving the clippings in a grass catcher, and then mix the clippings with water, put them in the press and form briquettes.  These will be able to be dropped over a pole, or dowel, for ease of feeding.

The other obvious use of this biomass briquette lever press is to create briquettes to burn as a fuel source, for cooking, heating, etc. I'm going to experiment with that side of things as well.  I've got to come up with a stove to burn use.  The folks who invented this press, also have invented a very good cookstove, made from local materials.  In a pinch, this would make all the difference, easing the toil involved with cooking over an open fire tremendously.

That's it for now.  Enjoy!

Ciao,

Panchito

No comments:

Post a Comment